We are looking for a local community group representative to join our Steering Group here at Peckham Levels.
Peckham Levels began as a call to action to breathe life into an under-utilised carpark in the heart of Peckham and provide tangible opportunities and a lasting legacy for local people. Since opening our doors back in the winter of 2017 our collective focus has been to celebrate the individuality of local enterprise, one’s that reflect the character, diversity and spirit of Peckham.
We are now proud to be home to a community of over 100 local, independent businesses. If you haven’t already visited, Peckham Levels focuses on creating a destination space that’s always lively and constantly ticking, and this provides a well-rooted platform for our Member businesses to prosper, by bringing the collective power back to a local level.
To put this into action we founded the project Steering Group back in 2018 with the vision of amplifying local voices in how our space is used, who benefits from it and to ensure that all the amazing opportunities here filter out into the wider local community. The Steering Group is also here to help us achieve our goal, to keep driving progress in terms of diversity and inclusion.
Now we are looking to expand the Steering Group further, by introducing a position for a representative from a local Peckham Community Group.
We are looking for someone who ‘lives and breathes’ Peckham and is committed to championing the Peckham Levels project. You might be a local Youth Leader, run a community creative collective or any other local Community Group. We need an individual who will bring fresh ideas and dialogue to the table, whilst also bringing a useful distance and perspective to the project team. This is a fantastic opportunity for the right person to be involved at the project’s core and to help keep Peckham Levels moving in the right direction.
Who is the Steering Group made up of?
- 1 Local Southwark Councillor
- 1 Southwark Regeneration Officer
- 2 Peckham Levels Members
- 4 local Southwark people representing different community interests
- 1 Make Shift representative
What is the role’s commitment?
- Report review and Steering Group meetings – up to 1 day per quarter reviewing the quarterly report, providing feedback and attending quarterly meetings
- Ongoing engagement with Members and local organisations outside the project
- Commitment to serving a term on the Steering Group of at least 1 year
What do you get in return?
- Free use of meeting room space at Peckham Levels for up to 3 hours per quarter*
- Free hire of one of the Peckham Levels event or exhibition spaces up to 1 day every 6 months*
- 2 dedicated Steering Group hot-desks available for any member of the group to work from
- Access to our networks
- Promotion of the Steering Group member or their organisation through our marketing channels
- Paid expenses (travel, childcare/caring) for attending Steering Group meetings.**
*Free use of the event and meeting room space. Fees may be charged on a community rate card basis for requirements above space hire (e.g. event duty managers, technology requirements).
**Expense receipts will need to be submitted to email@example.com within 30 days of costs being incurred and will be settled within 30 days of receipt. Expenses cannot be claimed by Make Shift staff, Peckham Levels staff, Council Officers or Councillors. Expenses will be capped at £50 per quarter each Steering Group member.
How do I apply to join the Steering Group?
Next steps and timeline:
- Applications for the Steering Group will close on the 1st July
- Meet the team w/c 6th July (date TBC)
- Next Steering Group meeting 30th July
- Steering Groups will be scheduled quarterly moving forward